Does the spectral coach of evil Judge Jeffrey’s recount its journey through Bell Lane in Enfield London?
Popular local story tells of the Phantom Coach of Enfield, which by all accounts, the ghostly coach travels silently down bell lane and suddenly vanishes into thin air, whilst being drawn by a team of ghostly black horses.
If the reports are to be considered factual, the coach belonged to the evil Judge Jeffrey’s, also known at the time as ‘Hanging Judge Jeffrey’s’ circa 1600’s who, it’s also speculated rides inside the ghostly coach. Interestingly enough Judge Jeffrey’s is known as Hanging Judge Jeffrey’s because of the punishment of death by hanging, he saw fit to hand out at the trials of the supporters of the Duke of Monmouth.
Seen a couple of times in the twentieth century, the ghostly passengers are said to be quite clear and distinct. A 14 year old boy who was cycling down Bell Lane during the 1940’s has said to have passed through the apparition.
The reports of the coach, however, have been commonplace for many years and it would appear sightings of it are usually observed at dusk or at night.
More information on this case can be read at the Blog of David Farrant
The couple who took up lodgings at the home of Richard Parsons seemed ordinary enough, but with their arrival came a series of events that left Parsons fearing for his sanity – and his life
Cock Lane is a short, curving thorough-fare in the city of London on the fringes of Smithfield. In the mid 18th century it was a slightly run down, though respectable, area containing private houses, a tavern called the Wheat Sheaf, tradesmen’s shops and a charity school. At what is now No 20 lived Richard Parsons, who drew a stipend as officiating clerk at the nearby church of St. Sepulchre, Snow Hill, and had a wife and two young daughters, the eldest, Elizabeth, being about 11 years old when the Cock Lane mystery began.
Today, Parsons would probably be considered a scandal to the church, for he was a heavy drinker with a tendency to run into debt, particularly with his accommodating friend James Franzen, landlord of the Wheat Sheaf. In 1759, however, his drinking habits were no better and no worse than those of many a minor cleric, and he kept himself solvent by taking in lodgers. Continue reading →
Known as “La Isla de la Munecas”, by the Spanish, The Island of the Dolls
Located within an extensive network of canals, south of Mexico City, the island La Isla de la Munecas (The Island of the Dolls) is a place of mystery and superstition.
Almost every tree growing on the island is adorned with old, mutilated dolls that gives anyone who steps a foot on to the island the feeling that they’re constantly being watched. The Doll’s unblinking gaze is an eerier feeling as you make your way through the vegetation and undergrowth.
The story behind the Island of the Dolls began when a gentleman the name of Don Julian Santana took up permanent residence. Although he was married he chose to live over 50 years of his life alone dedicated to the upkeep and maintenance of the Ghost Island.
Don Julian used to say he was haunted by the ghost of the little girl who had drowned in one of the canals around the island. Some say he used to fish the dolls from the water because he though they were real children, but the truth is he was collecting and placing them around his home as a shrine for the spirit that tormented him. Don Jullians obsession led him to trade home grown fruit and vegetables for old dolls and over the years he became more and more isolated with each doll adding to the collection.
Ironically, in 2001 Don Julian Santana was found dead by his nephew, in the same canal that he said the little girl drowned in. Now his Island of the Dolls is one of the world’s weirdest tourist attractions. Some tourists who visited this place claim the dolls whisper and you must offer them a gift upon setting foot on the island, to appease their spirits.
La Isla de la Munecas (The Island of the Dolls) is a dark tourist attraction and many visitors are overwhelmed by the dead childish faces of dolls that haunt this place, always looking as though the tourists are responsible for their deaths and macabre mutilated bodies. The Island of dolls is situated in Mexico and the reality is very harsh when one discovers the thousands of mutilated dolls hanging from every tree on the island.
A ghost of a woman known as the Brown Lady haunts Raynham Hall. She has not been seen since 1936, however a very reliable photograph was taken of the apparition.
The spectre is seen in a long brown dress or cape. The first sighting was reported in 1835 by Colonel Loftus, who witnessed the ghost twice. His description was that she was wearing a brown satin dress and had only black empty sockets for eyes.
Continue reading →
The Treasurer’s House (behind York Minster), was built in 1419.
Harry Martindale an apprentice plumber was installing a new central heating system in the cellars in 1953 when he heard the sound of a horn.
He continued to hear the Horn but carried on working up his ladder. Suddenly and without warning a cart horse ridden by a dishevelled Roman soldier, appeared through the wall. The carthorse was followed by several weary and miserable looking Roman Soldiers carrying short swords and spears.
Continue reading →