‘A massive Dominican priory complex built in 1239 with a church, and east and south cloister range and a study dormer’ (Department of the Environment description).
In the last ten years restoration work has been carried out, and a dungeon uncovered containing the remains of a young child. This discovery is often linked to sighting of a ghost monk. The monk is seen warring a black habit, and walking amongst the ruins. Staff members on the sight, have reported doors `mysteriously locking themselves`, and several have seen the ghostly monk near the site of the dungeon.
The 13th century church is near York Minster. It is in the care of the ‘Churches’ Conservation Trust, and the interior has not changed in 200 years.
A local woman was visiting the churchyard and sat alone on a bench eating her lunch. She found herself joined by a man in Elizabethan dress. The figures head was bowed and the woman could not see his face, he then disappeared behind the church, so the woman returned to eating her sandwiches. Continue reading →
The 14th Century church is haunted by the a spirit known as the ‘blue lady’.
In 1976 Jenny Nichols photographed the church but was shocked to find that on developing the film, a blue shadowy figure was clearly in view. Locals believed the blue lady to be the ghost of Elizabeth Gilbert, wife of Henry Gilbert who was the Squire of Locko Park.
Haunted by the ghost of William Penfound, who was murdered in December 1356.
“Certain satellites of Satan, names unknown, on the Feast of St John the Apostle – which makes the crime worse – broke into the Parish Church of Poundstock within our Diocese with a host of armed men, during Mass, and before Mass was scarcely completed they furiously entered the Chancel and with swords and staves cut down William Penfound, clerk. Vestments and other Church Ornaments were desecrated with human blood in contempt of the Creator, in contempt of the Church, to the subversion of ecclesiastical liberty and the disturbance of the peace of the realm. Where will we be safe from crime if the Holy Church, our Mother, the House of God and the Gateway to Heaven is thus deprived of its sanctity?” Bishop of Exeter.
Penfound’s ghosts has been seen in the graveyard,and standing church altar. He has also been seen floating to Penfound Manor, where the Penfound family continued to live for another 400 years.
The largest parish church in Surrey, is haunted by and old lady dressed in white.
The ghost is seen standing at the top of the church tower. She re-inacts her death by jumping from the tower into the churchyard. A former curate has witness a ghostly high mass complete with a congregation of ghostly worshippers, and Latin chanting.