Haunted by the ghost of William Penfound, who was murdered in December 1356.
“Certain satellites of Satan, names unknown, on the Feast of St John the Apostle – which makes the crime worse – broke into the Parish Church of Poundstock within our Diocese with a host of armed men, during Mass, and before Mass was scarcely completed they furiously entered the Chancel and with swords and staves cut down William Penfound, clerk. Vestments and other Church Ornaments were desecrated with human blood in contempt of the Creator, in contempt of the Church, to the subversion of ecclesiastical liberty and the disturbance of the peace of the realm. Where will we be safe from crime if the Holy Church, our Mother, the House of God and the Gateway to Heaven is thus deprived of its sanctity?” Bishop of Exeter.
Penfound’s ghosts has been seen in the graveyard,and standing church altar. He has also been seen floating to Penfound Manor, where the Penfound family continued to live for another 400 years.