The ancient manor of Bampton, on the banks of the Thames between Faringdon and Witney.
Originally a farmhouse, it became the manor house in the 1620s and was substantially rebuilt, probably by Edward Whitaker, in about 1806.
The Whitakers bought the freehold of much of the manor estate from the Church Commissioners in 1866. When the clergy tried to exorcise this haunting, they found it so strong the only way to subdue it was to place the ghost in a large barrel of beer.
The barrel stayed in the cellar of the house for many years, though its present whereabouts is unknown.